15/12/2013

Glögg, Swedish Christmas wine :: Glögg, vino sueco navideño

Lately I'm feeling quite Swedish-nostalgic. I can't call it "homesick" because I haven't ever lived there but the truth is that it is the first year that I don't travel to Göteborg during winter. And by winter I mean Christmas season.
In my opinion, Göteborg has got the most beautiful Christmas feeling ever. Streets are packed with people (in a country where you rarely see a soul during winter at 5 pm), you can smell sugar at any corner and you can hear Christmas carols any place you step in. Not to mention that their Christmas markets are GORGEOUS.


Everything mentioned above made me think I should find something to chin me up and wine came to my mind! If you link wine + Swedish + Christmas the result is Glögg, so let's drink a little bit ;)

Ingredients (2 ppl)
  • 1/2 litre of red wine
  • 80 ml of caster sugar
  • 80 ml of water
  • 7,5 ml of clove
  • 7,5 of cardamom
  • 5 ml cinnamon
  • 1/2 orange peel

Elaboration
This recipe is as simple as mixing the ingredients all together. First of all, add the sugar in a pot together with the clove, the cardamom, the cinnamon and the orange peel.

Then, add the water and bring everything to boil. 
Mix it a little bit until it is boiling and then let it simmer for 5 minutes to syrup-like consistency. 
Cover and let it rest 8 hours or over night in room temperature.

After that time you will notice the syrup is quite sticky. Don't worry, it should be like that! Now, add the red wine and heat without boiling. 
Once it is warm enough, strain and serve.

You are about to taste a homemade glögg!

Skål och God Jul! 
Cheers and Merry Christmas!



Fonts: 
Göteborg.com 
Le Parfait

LinkWithIt

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...